Being promoted to managing director level in your 20s may seem like an impossible notion. In reality it does happen, and, contrary to popular belief, it doesn’t happen to geniuses or those who “got a lucky break”. We’ve interviewed the people that have made it happen for them and these are some of the most common pointers they offered:
- Recognise that nothing goes to plan: Just because things are going bad this year, does not mean they will next year. Things change quickly, nothing stays the same forever.
- Don’t accept whatever at bonus times. Stop being a pushover. Speak to Executive Agents to have yourself setup POWERFULLY for such discussions.
- You only get what you ask for.
- Acknowledge that you are your own worst critic
- You matter. Come from an empowered context. For example, not speaking in meetings because you don’t think your opinion matters is a disempowering context and will get you nowhere.
- Don’t be too obsessed with just impressing your boss. Get to the source of the substance of what you’re actually trying to do is more important than just getting it done.
- Learn to trust yourself.
- Don’t wait! Build the systems and habits that can change your life.